In case you are not familiar with the Ragley range: the Big Wig is our Steel 29er frame. First launched in 2013, the original Big Wig defined what a modern steel 29er hardtail frame should be: Strong, light, adaptable, agile, forgiving over rough terrain, huge fun to ride and with a great ability to carry speed and steam roll over everything!
Building on the success of the original, we wanted the new Big Wig to keep the soul of the old frame by retaining as many of the original features as possible: It is made from custom drawn triple butted 4130 Chromoly Steel and features classic Ragley attributes such as a 44mm head tube, 3 Finger Bridge, Taperlite seat tube and chain stay mounted disc brake calliper. To bring the frame right up to date we added a whole host of new features such as a stiffer rear end using exchangeable dropouts which will allow you to run whichever standard you desire (142x12m or QR), better tyre & stand-over clearance and stealth dropper compatibility.
Our updated trail geometry uses shorter 435mm chain stays, a lower 305mm BB and revised 3 finger bridge for improved handling and manoeuvrability without compromising on tyre clearance. We also slackened the head angle to 65˚Static (66.5˚ Sagged at 25%) to inspire even more confidence through steep, rough and technical terrain. When coupled with a 130mm travel fork and a short stem the slacker head angle and shorter stays result in a long, low, slack and planted feeling bike with excellent grip, impeccable trail handling and stability that inspires confidence at high speed and over steep/technical terrain.
27.5”+ Compatibility means the Big Wig is more versatile than ever! The Tyre clearance from our revised 3 finger bridge is so good that the frame is 27.5”+ compatible; where you can fit 27.5”+ wheels with wide 44mm rims and up to a massive 3” tyres allowing you to adapt your Bigwig to suit the conditions you want to ride.
The Big Wig is truly is at home on any terrain: from tearing up your local singletrack to back county adventures in the middle of nowhere, smashing out runs in the Alps or racing XC/Enduro, it will help you push your limits and make you grin from ear to ear!
Ragley Big Wig 29” Hardtail Frame Features:
- All Mountain/Trail/Enduro frame
- Custom triple butted 4130 Chromoly steel
- Fork range: Optimised for a 130mm fork with a tapered steerer and external lower headset cup but can also accommodate a 120/130/140mm forks.
- Updated Trail geometry optimised for 29” wheels
- 5+” Wheel compatibility – For rims of 44mm wide and tyres up to 3” (We recommend 170mm cranks when using 27.5+ wheels.)
- Taperlite Seat tube with stealth dropper compatibility.
- Three Finger” chainstay bridge is exclusive to Ragley, and allows massive tyre clearance and gives resilience to any attempted chainsuck/derailment. You can fit 29” wheels with 2.4in tyres without any chainring or tyre clearance issues.
- Bolt on Cable guides located on the underside of the top tube/down tube allow for neat and tidy adaptable routing to suit your set up.
- Chain stay mounted post disc brake mount (Max rotor size: 180mm)
ISCG 05 Tabs
- 5 Year Warranty and lifetime crash replacement
- ISO 4210 Certified
- Frame comes with Formula Rear Axle, Ragley Chain stay protector and Ragley QR Seatclamp
Ragley Big Wig 29” Hardtail Frame Specifications:
- Head Angle: 65˚Static (66.5˚ Sagged at 25%
- Effective Seat Angle: 74˚
- Seat Angle : 72˚
- Chain stay length: 435mm
- Seat post: 31.6mm
- Rear Axle: 142x12mm Formula bolt through Axle as standard (Adaptors are available to convert to QR) – Actual axle length -159mm
- Seat Collar: 34.9mm
- Front Derailleur: 34.9mm Band Top Pull
- BB Shell: 73mm BSA
Head tube: 44mm Standard – ZS44/28.6 | EC44/40
Colour Options: Black/White or Turquoise/Black
Wheel Size: 29” – Although also compatible with 27.5”+ Wheels with 44mm rims and up to 3” tyres. (We recommend 170mm cranks when using 27.5+ wheels.)
Max Tyre Size: 2.4” with 29” wheels or up to 3” with 27.5”+ wheels.
Size Options: S – 16”, M – 18”, L – 20”
Weight: 6.5lbs/2.9kgs (18” Frame)